Sunday, July 18, 2010

Cutest Baby Dress Pattern



Here is a conceptual description of how I knit this. I half-ass wrote the pattern while I was knitting it, and sent the project off to my lovely pregnant friend before I filled in the details. I welcome everyone to test what I have and fill in the missing or confusing pieces. Anyway, I hope this is somewhat sufficient to follow....

Start with yarn for SKIRT part of dress:
CO 150 sts (I think..)
- Next 5 rounds - K all
- Round 6 - ^YO, K2tog. Repeat ^ to end of round
- Next 5 rounds - K all
- Fold over so that the crease is on the YOs of round 6
- Next 2 rounds - K all
- (you are now on) **Round 19**- ^YO, P2tog. Repeat ^ until end of round
- Round 20 - K all
- Round 21 - K all
- Round 22- ^YO, P2tog. Repeat ^ until end
- Round 23-27 - K all
- Repeat rounds 20, 21, 22
- *Switch to yarn for body*
- Round 1 of new yarn - ^K1, K2tog. Repeat ^ to end.
- There are now 75 sts on the needle.
- n rounds - K all
- Now you "split" the stitches for the front and back of dress. And decreasing for "arm holes"
-- You are now working BACK of dress
- round n + 1 - K 38sts, turn work
- round n +2 - (WS) slip 1, P 37, turn work
- round n +3 - (RS) slip 1, K 37, turn work
- next 3 rounds - K all on RS, P all on WS (stockinette stitch)
- next round = n + 7 - (RS) Slip 1, K2 tog, K 36, Turn
- Round n+8 - Slip 1, P2tog, P 35, Turn
- Repeat technique of round n+7 and n+8 for three more rows (n+9, n+10, n+11)
- Stockinette stitch for ? more rows
- You will now work BACK LEFT SHOULDER flap
- On next RS, Slip 1, K15, turn work
- Next row, Slip 1, P15
- For the next ? rows: On WS, Slip 1, P rest. On RS, K to last 2 sts, K2tog
- Repeat above two steps until you have 10 sts left.
- Switch to yarn used for skirt of dress:
---Row 1 (RS) with new yarn: Slip 1, K all
---Row 2: Sl 1, P all
---Row 3: Sl 1, K2, YO, K2tog, K2
---Row 4: Sl 1, P all
---Row 5: BO

Repeat instructions from BACK LEFT SHOULDER FLAP (I guess in mirror image ...) for the back LEFT shoulder flap of the dress

FRONT of dress
You have n rounds from before splitting the dress into back and front.
You will have to knit in a new strand of the yarn used for the body here.
On the RS row (call it n+1): K 38sts, turn work
- round n +2 - (WS) slip 1, P 37, turn work
- round n +3 - (RS) slip 1, K 37, turn work
- Repeat this pattern as n +2 for every n +even and as n+3 for every n+odd. Until you have approximately 35 sts left
- For the following rows knit garter stitch for 6 rows, and then BO

BUTTONS
-Sew buttons on the front flap, garter stitch section. Probably at 3 sts in from each end, so that they fit where the shoulder flaps fall.

12 comments:

Ann said...

I love the dress. What size is it? What does n mean. I love to knit but I am just an ok knitter. My granddaughter is a small 4month old. She still wears 0-3 months. I would love to make this for her. Thanks for the beautiful pattern,

Ann said...

I am a ok knitter, but what does "n" mean. I really need a little more to go own. I love the dress. About what size is it.

Ann said...

I am a ok knitter, but what does "n" mean. I really need a little more to go own. I love the dress. About what size is it.

Ann said...

I am a ok knitter, but what does "n" mean. I really need a little more to go own. I love the dress. About what size is it.

Stef said...

Hi Ann. This pattern is based on a project that I gave to a friend - and I forgot to write down how many rows to follow certain instructions. So n can be determined by deciding how long in cm or in you wanted to be, and calculating the amount of rows (along with the gauge of the yarn you use) you will need to achieve the length you want. so n equals the number of rows you need to get that length.

The size of this pattern is newborn. It should fit 0-3 months.

I do currently have a friend who is testing this pattern and will write in the exact details, so that the reader does not need to calculate rows for herself. If you wait a few weeks or so, I will post a more complete pattern that is easier to follow. :-)

Sorry for the confusing parts!

freewhelan said...

This looks great... would like to give it a go. What size needles did you use?

Rehan said...

Hi. Plz help me in undrstanding the 12 rund sayng" FOLD OVER SO THAT THE CREASE IS ON YOS OF 6TH ROUND" O THAT THE CREASE IS ON YOS OF 6TH ROUND"

msecor said...

How can I get the more complete pattern. I'm trying to make this dress.

Linda Cece said...

What size needle did you use on this dress?

Linda Cece said...

What size needle did you use? circular or straight?

Anne said...

Adorable dress! Is there a complete pattern posted yet?

Linda Cece said...

Anne
what size needle/needles did you use.

Linda